Bhavan’s Gandhi Vidyashram
Annual Report- 2018-19
Respected Chief Guest of the day, Shri Professor Siva Davamani, Respected Chairman, Respected Members of the Governing Council, the PTA president, Distinguished Guests, Parents, Teachers and Students, a very good morning to you all.
I extend a warm welcome to one and all present here, on the occasion of the 35th Annual Day celebration of our school. We are fortunate to have in our midst, Professor Siva Davamani, our Chairman Shri S.Annamalai, the Members of the Governing Council, Shri V.S.Velayutham and Shri Arun Lakshminarayan on this auspicious occasion. I extend my heartfelt thanks to all of them for having taken time out of their busy schedule to grace the Annual Day celebration of our school.
I take great pride in submitting the Annual Report for the year 2017-18.
Bhavan's Gandhi Vidyashram, Kodaikanal has stepped into its 35th successful year. The school has had excellent results in class XII, with cent percent results in the Science stream with 24/24 first classes and 10 distinctions. Master K R Anantha Narayanan was the topper in the Science Stream with 95.2%. In the Commerce stream, 15/21 had got first class with 5 distinctions. Master Tenzin Kalden was the Topper in the Commerce stream with 88%. In class X also the school had achieved cent percent results of which 29/41 had got first class, with 12 distinctions. S. Ashwini was the topper with 91%.
Reputed Awards :
Our English Teacher, Mrs. Meera Rajkumar was the recipient of the CBSE Best Teacher Award 2017-18. Mrs. Meera Rajkumar was presented with a shawl, certificate and a cash prize of Rs.50,000/- at a prestigious function held at New Delhi on September 6th, 2018.
Mrs. Meera Rajkumar has also received The India Achiever Award -2019, in the category of Best Inspirational Teacher. She was awarded a certificate and a trophy.
Mrs. Meera Rajkumar has also won the RULA Education Ratna Award-2019 as India’s Outstanding and Innovative Academician cum Developer.
Mrs. Sukumari Menon, The Chief Educational Officer, Bhavan’s Shikshan Bharathi, South Zone B, Kochi Kendra, visited our school for a comprehensive evaluation of the school activities. Madam was very happy with the proceedings of the school in both the academic and administrative fronts and has given a positive and encouraging feed back.
Teachers Enrichment Programme :
Mrs. Rosalina, Mr.Sukumaran and Mr.Manoj attended a three day workshop conducted by Bhavan's Shikshan Bharathi, Mumbai, for the teachers of Economics and Library Sciences, at Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan, K.M.Munshi Marg, Jaipur from May 14th-16th, 2018.
An orientation program for the teachers was conducted in the school on June 2nd and 3rd. The topics were "Innovation in Education", "Guidelines for effective Digital presentation" and "Passion for teaching". Dr.S. Kannan, Dr. P.Muthupandi and Professor Nedumaran were the resource persons.
Mr.Hariharan, Mrs.Ezhil and Miss Prabhavathi participated in the seminar “Awakened Citizen Program” organized by Kendriya Vidhalaya at the Chennai IIT Campus on July 9th and 10th.
Mrs K.Anitha participated in the workshop conducted at Chennai on "English Core -for class XII" on September 19th and 20th, 2018.
Mrs. Ezhil participated in a one day seminar on “Understanding the 21st Century children”, organized by Ratna Sagar Pvt. Ltd. at Hotel Royal Court, Madurai, on 11th January, 2019.
Seven of our teachers, namely, Mrs.Rosalina, Mrs.Banu Sundersekar, Mrs. Meera Rajkumar, Mr. Sukumaran, Mr. Esakkimuthu, Mrs. Rajeswari and Mrs. Gowri attended a workshop on “ Quality Evaluation” conducted by the CBSE at Adhyapana School, Madurai, on 24th January, 2019.
Mrs. Banu Sundersekar participated in the Capacity Building program conducted by the CBSE on “ Remodelled Structure for Assessment for Secondary Classes ” at Soundararaja Vidyalaya, Dindigul on 11th February,2019.
Mr.P.Vijayakumar of the P.Ed. Department participated in the Capacity Building Program conducted at Soundararaja Vidyalaya, Dindigul on 21st February, 2019.
INTACH Heritage Quiz :
Our students participated in the INTACH Heritage Quiz at Zion School, Kodaikanal, on 5th September, 2018. Augustine J John (X) and Prem Nirmal (X) won the first prize and qualified for the state level.
Master Prem Nirmal and Master Tejo Mukesh participated in the state level INTACH Quiz competition held at Chennai and secured the second place.
SPELL BEE Competition :
15 students participated in the National level Spell Bee Competition on 29th July at Parvathy Anugraha International School, Dindigul. 13/15 qualified for the International level. They include Tejo Mukesh, Y. Arshad Anand, A. Thilaga M, S. Shree Charan, Sameeksha T.S., Adhithi R. Samantha, S. Niketha Reenu, S. Vishnu Anand, Aanvi Nevatia, Harini, Nishant R.Nair and Meenakshi S. Nine of these students participated in the International level which was held in The American College, Madurai, on 13th October, 2018.
Ninth National Integration Camp :
Six of our students namely, P.Sarin Mohan(IX), Pranav(IX), C.Shiv(IX), Vihas(IX), Viswa Dharini(XII) and Rithanya(XII)were escorted by our P.Ed. Teacher Mr.P.Vijayakumar to the Ninth NIC at SL Public School, Amritsar, Punjab.
International Yoga Day was celebrated on 21st June, 2018 in the school.
Arun Ramaiyah(X) won the silver medal at the National level Silambam competition held at A J S Nidhi School, Chennai, on May 23rd.
Annamalai University Grade Examination for Bharathanatyam and Carnatic Music was conducted in our school on August 4th, 2018.
Annual School Sports Day was held on 11th August, 2018. The chief guest of the day was Mr. S.N.Tejasvi IFS, the DFO of Kodaikanal.
Three of our students, Yuvan Velkumar(X), Sabarish(X) and Binehas(X) attended the District RYLA Youth Leadership program at Madurai from 17th-19th August,2018.
The new Office Bearers for The Interact Club for the year 2018-19 were installed by the President of the Rotary Club on August 30th, 2018.
Six of our students and Mrs.Meera Rajkumar participated as volunteers in the Blood Donation Camp held at Jayaraj Hall, Kodaikanal. Our teachers Mr.J.S.Hariharan, Mr.Gopalakrishnan and Mr. Easakimuthu donated blood at the camp.
The Ineractors of our school collected Rs.47,900/- towards the Kerala Chief Minister’s Flood Relief Fund.
The Interact Club contributed Rs.2500/- as educational aid to Mr. Mariappan’s grand children.
The students of class X and XII were taken to Kodaikanal Christian College to watch the play "The Mouse Trap" on 20th August, 2018.
On September 15th, 2018, a Tree Planting Program was conducted by the Rotary Club, Kodaikanal, in the school campus.
The Students of our school participated in the " Lakathon" marathon event organized by the Kodaikanal Rotary Club on 22nd September, 2018. Saajid Mohammed (X) won the 3rd prize.
The Rotary Club, Kodaikanal, conducted a medical camp on 25th September which involved a Heart check up for all the students, teaching and non teaching staff of the school.
Complying with the norms of the CBSE, the school also conducted an eye check-up and dental checkup for all the students.
The Students of classes II to XII participated in the "Walk For Health" conducted by the Kodaikanal Rotary Club on 29th September, 2018.
The students of classes IV-X went on an educational trip to Bangalore and Mysore and the students of classes XI and XII visited Hyderabad.
The 1st International Educational Trip to NASA :
The Principal escorted 14 of our students on a 14 day educational tour to NASA, Kennedy Space Centre, Orlando, USA. The students experienced a shuttle launch simulation ride, saw a Rocket Launch Pad, Space-X Rocket Building Area, Atlantis, Apollo Saturn V Centre and J-Max movies. At Atlanta, the students visited the CNN Headquarters and the Coco-cola headquarters. At Washington DC, they visited the White House, Hershey’s Chocolate Factory, Lincoln Memorial, World War Memorial and the Capital Building. At Buffalo, they experienced The Maid of Mist Boat Ride to the Niagara Falls. On the whole, it was a rewarding experience.
Swachhata Pakhawada-2018 :
As per the Swachh Bharat Mission, various events like Tree planting, Campus cleaning, English and Tamil letter writing competitions, Post card writing and Art competitions were organized to create awareness among our students.
From this year, doing Yogasanas and chanting the slokas from the Bhagavad Gita has been introduced during the morning assembly.
External Examinations :
- Hand Writing Olympiad was conducted on 20th September and the following students were the School Level winners:
- Vishal(IX), Ritesh Tomar(VII), Swathika(IX), Sree Varadhan(VIII) and Samantha (VI).
- 117 students participated in the Silverzone English Olympiad. Our school has won 12 gold medals, 9 silver and 8 bronze medals in various categories. 25 students have qualified for the II level.
- 50 students participated in the Silverzone Information Technology Olympiad. Our school has won 6gold, 4silver and 1 bronze medal in different categories. 6 students have qualified for the II level.
- 32 students participated in the International Olympiad of Mathematics from classes II to V. our school has won 7gold, 4silver and 3 bronze medals. 11 students qualified for the next level.
- National Level Mathematics Olympiad was conducted for the senior students. Eight of our students scored above 90% and were awarded certificates and gold medals. The students are SriRamakrishna, Sriramji, Vidul, Riyazdeen, Saran, Arun Pandi, Sukumar and Mansur Ali Jurabi of class XI.
- 37 students from class XI and XII participated in the 13th National Level Commerce Talent Search Examination and the toppers include:
- Vishal L Patel (XII) – I
- Shubam K Patel (XII) – II
- Ankit Mund(XII) – III
- G.Sriramji (XI) – I
- Sushma (XI) – II
- Mansur (XI) - III
- Ninety one students participated in the Silver Zone GK Olympiad conducted in the month of January, 2019 in which four of our students secured state ranks.
- Janani (II) – Third State Rank
- Varshika(II) – Third State Rank
- Rakesh Kumar(X)-First State Rank
- Prem Nirmal (X) – Second State Rank was presented with a pen.
- Afra Banu (IX) and Swathika(IX) secured 10th Olympiad Rank and were presented with a wrist watch each.
The Rotary Club of Kodaikanal conducted several inter-school competitions. The results are as follows :
|Quiz I Prize in both senior and super senior category.
INTACH Drawing Competition :
12 of our students participated in the “Paani Ki Kahan”-My Water Heritage drawing competition conducted by the INTACH Kodaikanal chapter.
National Science Day was celebrated on the 28th of February, 2019.Our students participated in the various competitions organised by the Indian Institute of Astrophysics, Kodaikanal Observatory. Pushpashree and Kunal secured the second place in the Quiz competition and Aanvi Nevatia secured the second place in the English Elocution competition.
INTERACT Club Projects :
The INTERACT Club of our school contributed Rs. 10,000/- as educational aid to help two students studying in the Government School, Kodaikanal.
The INTERACTORS of class XII contributed RS. 16,500/- to help support three children who had lost their parents.
Visit to Mercy Old Age Home :
The students of class IX and X visited Mercy Old Age Home on 8th March, 2019. The INTERACT club provided the inmates with snacks and donated a gas stove to the Old Age Home.
Cancer Awareness Program :
An awakening initiative was organised by ESOINDIA to create awareness for early cancer detection, at Mother Theresa University on 13th March, 2019. The students of Class XI performed a skit on “Be a better Father, Quit smoking and drinking”. All the students were awarded certificates and a trophy.
Shaheed Diwas Celebration of the Mahatma :
- Mr. J.S. Hariharan addressed the students at the assembly on The Gandhian principles.
- A quiz was conducted by Mr.Sukumaran for the senior students on “Gandhi as an International Leader”.
- The students of class XI presented a mime on Mahatma Gandhi’s life.
- Augustine J John addressed the assembly on “The Life of the Mahatma”, in Hindi.
- A collage of a picture of Gandhiji was made by the junior students.
Our school participated in the Badminton, Foot Ball, Volley Ball Athletics, Chess and Basket Ball Cluster matches.
Friendly matches in Foot Ball were conducted with Peter’s School, Kodaikanal, on 8th July and 25th July, 2018 in our school grounds.
- Our students participated in the Football matches conducted by BVM School, Trichy.
- Our school Badminton team participated in the tournament organized by Amir Badminton Academy, Madurai.
- Our school super senior foot ball team participated in the state level foot ball tournament organized by The Kodaikanal International School, Kodaikanal, from 18th to 22nd September, 2018.
- Our school girls Basket ball team participated in the Inter-Kodaikanal Basket ball tournament organized by The Kodaikanal International School, from 24th to 26th September, 2018.
- Shreecharan of Class V won the second place in the Boys U-10 category, in the International FIDE rated Chess tournament organized by RAMCO Institute of Technology on 29th November and 3rd December, 2018.
- Rithik Patel(VI), Shree Charan(V), Nithin Suriya(VI), Sandeep(VII) and David Samuel Sibi(VIII) participated in the Tamil Nadu State Level Chess tournament organized by Parvathy Anugragha International School, Dindigul, on 9th and 10th of February, 2019. H.David Samuel Sibi received a trophy and an appreciation certificate for his excellent performance in the U-15 category.
- 12 of our students participated in the Kodaikanal Educational Level Silambam Tournament at Moonjikal, Kodaikanal, on 10th February. 4 students won the I prize, 3 students won the II prize and 5 stood III. Our school won the overall II place in the competition.
- Bhavan’s Soccer League for U-15 Boys was conducted on 16th and 17th March, 2019 in the school football ground. Five schools from Kodaikanal participatedwith great enthusiasm. Our school won the first place, followed by Kodaikanal Public School in the second place and Brindavan Public School in the third place.
CCA programs are conducted every Saturday between 2:10pm and 3:20pm. Competitions conducted so far are :
- Light music
- English Elocution
- Foot Loose
- Dumb Charades
- Turn Coat
- If these people meet
- Patriotic Song Competition
- Hindi Elocution
- Spell Bee
- Campus Quiz
- Mathematics Quiz
- English/Hindi/Tamil Recitation Competion
- Essay Writing
- Campus Quiz
- Sloka/ Doha Recitation
- Skit Competition
As per tradition, Bhavan’s bid farewell to the students of Class X and XII on 19th January, 2019.
In upholding the tradition of The Bhavan, Varalakshmi Pooja, Vinayaga Chathurti, Raksha Bandhan, Onam, Krishna Jayanthi, Independance Day, Teachers Day, Diwali, National Unity Day and Children’s Day, Pongal and Republic Day were celebrated with great enthusiasm and fervour.
I conclude by extending my sincere thanks to the Management, the Parents, my Teacher Colleagues, the Office Staff and the non-teaching faculty for their unrelenting support for the smooth and successful functioning of our school.
I wish each and every one of you a pleasant and enjoyable morning!